Keeping with the vision and mission of the Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (BBAU), Lucknow, the Central Library was established in January 1998 to promote knowledge and application through its effective dissemination of knowledge and information. The Central Library of BBAU has named as Gautam Buddha Central Library after the name of Lord Gautam Buddha. The Library is governed by LAC (Library Advisory Committee). The LAC is apex policy making body which functions under the chairmanship of Vice-Chancellor. The library acts as learning resource centre of the University to supplement education and information needs of the faculty and students. The Library has been played a key role in generation, preservation and communication of knowledge for education and research of the university. It provides information services and facilities to meet the requirement of the teaching, training and research programmes. The seating capacity of the Library is more than 300 users at a time. The library services are also open to the University staff and visitors.
Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) have been changed at very fast pace. Development of ICT has great impacted on libraries all over the world. The Central Library has been adapting new technologies strategically for providing web based information services to the library users. The Library is member of 'E-ShodhSindhu' National Consortium for Higher Education Electronic Resources of INFLIBNET (Information and Library Network), Gandhinagar.
The Library has been functioning in its two floor of newly constructed four storied building which is the central place of the University. The new Library building consists of an area of 7917 sq.m. including the basement.
The Library remains open on each working day from 8:00 AM. to 8:00 PM for its readers. However, on Saturday, it opens from 9:30 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. The reading rooms of the Library open from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
Sections of the Library
- Acquisition Section: This section is responsible for the acquisition of all the books, monographs, government documents, gifts and other reading material relevant to the requirements of teaching and research programs of the university. The section helps the faculty members in selecting the new documents for procurement in the library through the latest announcements, publisher's catalogues and bibliographies.
- Technical Section: After acquisition of the documents, the technical processing work i.e. classification and cataloguing for easy retrieval of the documents is done by technical section. The classification of documents is carried out by using DDC 23rdedition.
- Circulation section: The section provides membership to the students, faculty and other staff of the University. The books are issued to the Library users according to their privileges on all the working days.
- Periodical section: In the section, new periodical publications, newspapers, and magazines added have added. The section has a seating capacity of the 50 students at a time where they have offline access to various reports, faculty publication, magazines, and newspapers, etc.
- Cyber Section: The strength of the section is 50 computers, but presently, a total of 25 computers with the facility of access to the Internet are functioning. The Library has Wi-Fi enabled access to the Internet where the users access the e-resources. The students are allowed to use their Laptops and Tablets here. During the period, 21696 students visited in the section.
- Thesis Section: A separate theses section started to organise the theses/dissertation collection of the University. In this section, any scholars of the University may access the available theses/dissertations.